1. To get started, I would want to make sure that you reside in one of the following Western Pennsylvania counties: Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Lawrence, Washington and Westmoreland. If you do, please fill out the Contact Shawn form on the bottom of the main page or simply call me at 412-920-6565 to set up a FREE telephone consultation.
2. During our telephone consultation, I will do my best to answer any questions that you may have. Then I will ask you some simple questions concerning you, your family, your income, your expenses, and your debts in order to understand your specific situation. Next we will discuss the bankruptcy and non-bankruptcy options available to help you. I also will explain all fees required to hire me as your bankruptcy lawyer.
3. If you decide that bankruptcy is your best option and you want to hire me as your bankruptcy lawyer, then we will schedule a free office consultation that will be approximately one hour. During that time, we will review more thoroughly your financial information, including income, expenses, overall debts and property. All of this information is necessary in order for me to prepare and file your bankruptcy case.
4. We will also sign an Attorney-Client Agreement, which will outline the required fees needed to file your case. Once that Agreement is signed and the fees are paid, then I will begin to prepare your bankruptcy documents.
5. At this time, I will set up the credit counseling session that the new bankruptcy laws require you to take before your bankruptcy case can be filed. You can take the credit counseling session by telephone or on your computer over the Internet in less than an hour. Once you have completed the credit counseling session, let me know so that I can obtain your Certificate of Completion which must be filed at the same time I file your bankruptcy case.
6. When I have prepared all of your bankruptcy documents, we will schedule a signing appointment. We will meet together and review the accuracy and completeness of the bankruptcy documents, I will make any necessary changes, and you and I will sign the bankruptcy documents. I will also give you information concerning what will happen throughout your bankruptcy case from the time it is filed until the time it is finished.
7. Once we have reviewed and signed your bankruptcy documents, I will file them with the bankruptcy court that same day. The instant your bankruptcy case is filed with the court, an automatic stay immediately goes into effect. The automatic stay stops your creditors from taking any further collection activity against you without first gaining the approval of the bankruptcy judge.
Filing bankruptcy will offer you great protection from your creditors and bill collectors. Filing bankruptcy can help you save your home from foreclosure or your car from repossession. It can stop lawsuits filed against you. It can stop the garnishment of your paycheck. However, you won’t get any of this protection until your bankruptcy case is actually filed with the bankruptcy court.
Therefore, from the moment you hire me, it should be your goal to get your bankruptcy case filed as quickly as possible. Realize however that getting your case filed quickly will require you to be cooperative and honest with me, to follow my advice and instructions, and to be diligent, thorough and timely in providing me the information necessary for me to prepare your bankruptcy documents.
To provide me with more information when helping with your filing, you may fill out the questionnaire and fax, mail or email it when completed.